Thursday, March 10, 2011

Television: Hoarding

There is a type of reality TV that fixes on the hardships and problems of others. I hate it. In particular, I hate all the shows about hoarding.


I feel so sorry for the people profiled in these shows that are supposed to help people. Yes. They have a problem. But, I have yet to see where the prying eyes of television viewers has anything to do with help.


Usually the show has a "professional" therapist onboard, as well as a host who will force them (thru embarassment) to throw away what they hold dear. As I said, I agree these people need help. Lets face it, though. The best help would not involve television and force. And don't pretend they aren't forced. I predict that something awful will eventually happen that will "force" these shows off the air.


Since when does is take only one weekend (or a few days) to make the decision to change. They're not changing! They end up with a clean house, maybe. But their habits are not permanently changed. Only with REAL theraputic help, over time, can they finally live happily with less items crowding their lives.


People watch these shows to feel superior, even if they don't know it. Shame on the producers for prying into the lives of these poor individuals. I say, "Bravo!" to those hoarders who stand strong and tell them to "get the hell out!"

0 comments: